With it’s bold checkerboard design and the abundance of lumberjack Halloween costumes in every costume specialty store, plaid has the tendency to be misconceived as a masculine print. But, with a variety of colors, fabrics, and clothing articles in the plaid print, this pattern is versatile across seasons and can be very feminine if done right! Here are a few tips on wearing plaid this fall season:
1) Limit the amount of plaid in your outfit (and consider plaid accessories!). Plaid is classified as a geometrical print with all of its repeating squares, so wearing too many plaid items in an outfit overpowers the look and can actually make you appear like some sort of optical illusion. Stick to either one big plaid piece of several small plaid accessories. Although expensive, I absolutely adore Burberry plaid accessories.
2) Pair plaid with neutral solids. If you wear additional patterns with your plaid, they will almost inevitably clash and people might question what sort of condition you were in while picking out your outfit in the morning. For ladies, pairing a fitted plaid dress with a pair of solid leggings is a great option for the fall. If you’re looking for comfort and warmth, pair an oversized plaid button-up with a pair of skinny jeans. I love the ruffled plaid blouses with jeans as well!
3) Choose your print pattern and size. There are two styles when it comes to plaid: “woven” styles mix multiple colors into one pattern with a large square size and “Western” styles incorporate only one or two colors into smaller square sizes. Choose which one works best for you!
4) Pick the right color. Black and red plaids are traditional colors that are often associated with fall, but have a “rustic” connotation to them. Neutral colors like tan and cream are great for the autumn season as well and are also traditional, while pastels are a more modern take on this print.
5) Dress it up! Pair a flirty ruffle plaid blouse or a fitted plaid dress with some cute bangles or long earrings, a scarf, or a belt. Finish off the look with a cute pair of heeled boots.