“Release the Kraken!”
So shouts Liam Neeson in what is arguably the greatest movie line of all time. Seriously, it just doesn’t get better than that.
The origins of this drinking game are murky, much like the water in which the Kraken makes its home. What is clear, however, is that playing this game will take your party to the next level. This is not a polite, pre-game drinking event.
“Releasing The Kraken” should be reserved for when the night is in full swing; when people will have no reservations about putting their whole being behind their battle cry. After all, you can’t summon the scourge of the underworld with a half-assed yelp.
What You Will Need:
- One bottle of The Kraken
- A LOT of empties
- A Table
- People. 3 at least. The more the better. I guess you could play this alone, but that would be moronical.
- Everyone who is playing should surround the table.
- Erect a massive pyramid of empties
- Whoever’s turn it is must place the bottle of Kraken in front of them, raise their fists to the sky, and in their most Neeson-like voices, scream, “RELEASE THE KRAKEN!”
- Slam your fists down on the table. The goal is to knock down as much of your structure as possible.
- After you have completed the summoning ritual, you must grab the Kraken bottle in both hands and take a mighty swig
- If you accidently knock over the bottle of Kraken during your summoning, you must take two drinks.
There are an endless number of ways in which you may “Release the Kraken.” The traditional way is to slam your fists earthward in stony judgement, but really, you should try and get creative here. I have seen headbutts, table-dives, and running jumps where the player lands seated on the table, sending everything flying. The possibilities are limited only by what you can think of.