A Beer Recommendation App? Yes Please.
From Beer Genome, LLC, BrewGene is a handy phone app that can not only act as something of a beer journal, but can also recommend beers for you at restaurants based off of your previous ratings. It has fantastic reviews (over 4 stars) in the App Store, and from my experience it’s a must have for anyone interested in brew.
I encountered BrewGene while studying abroad in England last semester. A friend of mine was charting all the different beers that he tried in a journal. Immediately recognizing the fun in doing that, I sought out an app to keep track and rate my favorites. I tried a couple apps with varying degrees of success, but BrewGene shone for its extensive library of ales and ease of use. The features involved are vast in comparison to competitors, and include:
- Cellar – This is where your history of beers is stored, ranked by highest rating, beer name or most recent.
- Rec’s – As you rate more and more, rec’s is useful in recommending beers that you might like.
- Top 100 – This lists the top 100 beers ranked by BrewGene users. Basically the best of the best.
- Beer of the day – A new brew listed every day.
- Submit a beer – It’s unlikely, but if BrewGene doesn’t have a beer in its database, feel free to add it to the list.
- Random – Feel like rating some random brews? Click random.
A tremendous brew tracking and recommendation application for your phone. Looking back at some of your old favorites is always fun, as well as tracking new varieties. The submit option is among the best features, as some local breweries aren’t yet in the database. With a vast library and easy use, this is the best of the best in terms of free apps of this nature. Beer lovers enjoy.