Frozen Yogurt has become a campus favorite, to all of our benefit. Yum!
This frozen treat has grown in popularity without adding pounds to the already menacing “Freshman 15″. From the basic flavors like plain-old vanilla and tart pomegranate to fabulously fun ones like Cake Batter and Oreo, the the ever-growing froyo craze leaves our cups flooding with delicious flavors and a diet-friendly dessert. The overflow is not always to our benefit, however
Yes it’s true this desert is a fabulous substitute to ice cream, but too much can lead you astray in your understanding of what’s healthy. Follow these tips to fearlessly enjoy the froyo craze without forfeiting your figure.
- Tip One: Cup Size: Most froyo shops these days are self-serve. Opt for the small cup, which usually holds what would be considered a large ice cream.
- Tip Two: Be Choosy: With an array of sweet, savory, salty and fruity flavors lining the effervscent self-serve walls, try to limit yourself to three flavors, maximum. In this instance, less is more. You’ll enjoy a variation of taste without ending up with a mish mosh of incompatible flavors.
- Tip Three: Fruit First! When you take your cup, fill the bottom of it with fruit first so you already have a base for your yogurt. You’ll use up space in your cup with low-cal fruit while still leaving space for a dollop of soft serve and candy.
- Tip Four: Sprinkles! One tablespoon of sprinkles, both regular or rainbow, only has about 20 calories. Opt for sprinkles when in the mood for a something a little bit more dangerous to your diet.
- Tip Five: If you love syrups, opt for whipped cream or marshmallow syrup instead. It has a similar texture with only 15 calories per two tablespoons!
- Tip Six: Sweet Moderation: Okay, so no one’s a saint when it comes to splurging. It’s hard to resist the Oreo toppings and the cookie dough squares. If you find yourself dying to indulge, go for it, but do it in moderation. Toss on just a small spoonful, which should be just enough to satisfy your cravings.
- Tip Seven: Parfait: When the middle-of-the-day sugar craving hits, substitute a small snack or even lunch for a delicious froyo parfait. Load up on a ton of fruits, some nuts for protein and a dollop of tart froyo for a quick fix! It’s deliciously nutritious, low cal and is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
- Tip Eight: Opt for Fat-Free: Froyo is meant to be a healthy substitute for ice cream. In order to achieve such a goal, opt for the fat-free versions and sugar free if available.
- Tip Nine: After Dinner Dessert: If enjoying froyo after a delicious dinner, choose the smaller size cup. With a big meal and a smaller cup, you’ll feel more satisfied and less likely to opt for seconds.
- Tip Ten: Slow Down. Swirl up with a group of friends and enjoy your conversation while also enjoying the treat. Savor every bite by putting that colorful spoon to the side in between bites to chime in on today’s gossip or take a sip of water. You’ll feel fuller after, while getting both your social and sweet fix.
Eating froyo for dessert allows you to give up the guilty conscience once and for all. Opt for froyo instead of dining hall deserts that could result in a major diet downfall. Better yet, you know how they say you are what you eat? Well, you can have your froyo without wearing it too.