You know when you’ve had a bad day and you come home and all you want to do is eat an entire pan of brownies fresh out of the oven? Well, if you have never had that feeling, these delicious brownies will change your mind.
A rich, fudgy brownie layer topped with a cool, creamy mint layer and finished off with a thin layer of chocolate. Although a little more advanced than your classic brownie-from-a-boxed-mix, they are still very easy and sure to be a hit with all your friends. The best part is that the mint layer starts off white so if you want to make it pink for Valentine’s Day or green for St. Patrick’s Day, the possibilities are endless!
Oh and if you decide not to share them and eat the whole entire pan yourself, we’ll keep it our little secret.
Fudgy Mint Chocolate Brownies
- Makes about 12 brownies
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 stick butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- for mint layer:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp cream
- tiny bit of green food coloring
- for chocolate topping:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Lay a piece of tin foil in an eight inch pan and liberally butter the foil. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together over very low heat in a medium sized saucepot, stirring constantly. Once melted, take off the heat and whisk in the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour and salt and mix until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool completely before proceeding to the next step.
- While brownies are cooling, mix together all ingredients for the mint layer (it’s easiest to use a mixer for this). Once the brownies have cooled, spread the mint layer over the top evenly and then place brownies in the fridge for 30 minutes so the mint layer can set.
- Now, melt the chocolate chips either in a double boiler or VERY CAREFULLY in the microwave, stirring during 20 second intervals. Spread the melted chocolate over the top of the mint layer evenly and place brownies back in the fridge for two hours until set.
- After chocolate has cooled completely, lift tin foil out of pan and slice brownies into small squares.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Eat, Live, Run